Saturday, July 6, 2013

DIY Cheap Drawer Organizer

We all have those disaster-like drawers of makeup and other tools, am I right? In this case, my mother was the culprit of this drawer situation. Tools and make-ups were just everywhere all over the drawer, and half of the stuff was never used anyways! So I decided to come up with a solution to not only organize the supplies that she had, but as well as minimize the amount of products so that we are not hoarding unnecessary items.

So we started with a clean slate. We took everything out of the drawer and cleaned it out so it was pitch perfect ready to be organized!










Then we took all the products and organized them into mason jars and Tupperware to see all that we had separately. It was organized by eye-makeup, mascara, liners (lip and eye), lipsticks, tools, and facial creams. After this step I had my mother go through all of these products and pick out the ones she uses daily or weekly, and the rest we tossed.





Next I had to come up with a plan to organize it. I had the intentions of putting in separators in the drawer (this is were the DIY comes in) so I mapped out a couple of options to accomplish this. Keep in mind you want to put your most commonly used items as close to the front of the drawer as possible, so in my mother's case we put the mascara and facial creams in plain view. We ended up with Option #2 and so here is where I show you the DIY on making a Cheap Drawer Organizer!





DIY Cheap Drawer Organizer
First you are going to purchase a piece of plastic or foam filled poster board. Something that is durable enough that it takes a little effort to bend it. You are going to measure out the length and height for your dividers and cut out your rectangles appropriately. I used two 9 inch long pieces and two 6 inch long pieces for our organizer.
Slide the dividers into place and voila! Brand new and super cheap drawer organizer! Put your make-up into the appropriate sections and you are ready to go! Tip: I used a little less durable material for my dividers so I added a dab of hot glue to the ends of each piece of foam board so I minimize the amount of movement inside the drawer.
Side note: As well as organizing my mother's makeup drawer in our bathroom, I also organized the counter. We have a cute little soap dispenser that used to just sit on the counter by itself and I thought it looked boring so I found this little flower tray we had lying around our house and stuck it underneath it! Not only is it super cute, but it also catches any flyaway hand soap that might get on the counter when someone is washing their hands.

I hope you guys enjoyed this DIY! Let me know if you try this at home! Happy DIY!

No comments:

Post a Comment